Monday, May 11, 2015

lightly raining in the galapagos



"It was lightly raining in the Galapagos, when ... ", started the older gentleman's story, as a group of us were waiting in the sitting room.  We were waiting for the B & B restaurant to open for their breakfast serving.

As I listened to the group compare stories of elaborate vacations, I began to feel invisible. I am a no body. This was idle conversation to them. It wasn't about the weather, nor about their grandchildren or their pets. It's about how their bodies react to malaria medication. Galapagos, South Africa, Mexico, Mayan country. Mostly it's the well traveled folks talking. The non-well-traveled sit quietly in the corner, away from the group, listening. I can only imagine what they may be thinking. Maybe it's something similar to me.... I am a no body.

Listening to the group, I heard narrow mind after narrow mind, followed by competition and judgment. One-upping games to show importance; but only to those that are playing. To the rest it is just bragging.

But one man who was clearly not well traveled, was sitting quietly away from the rest. Something about him, his humble stance and excited eyes, made me realize that he is the only person in the room I would WANT to talk to, even though I am well traveled myself and could rival any story in the conversation.

He didn't add much to the conversation with rivaling stories. Instead he commented on the most inane things with such joy, carrying passion with an infectious smile, "I just love those bison," pointing outside to the bison in the neighboring field. His comment stops the elaborate stories in their tracks and makes everyone chuckle. Even the proudest world traveler in the room took at moment to look at those bison. That one man spoke about things that are equally relatable... to everyone. He made me appreciate the things I have in this moment, a view of such an incredible creature like bison, not longing for the things that I haven't seen, done, or experienced.

To humbly bring to light experiences that are within everyone’s reach... that is GRACE.  
Joy is infectious. A smile is a beacon. And humility is the platform from which everything can be heard.


Copyright 2010 Yvonne Ramage

No comments:

Post a Comment