Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Selfish Day

I know we are all exhausted. Work has become ... work. And play is getting farther and farther from view. We have all had to slow down. Jobs are lost. Credit is getting cancelled. Bills are getting behind faster than you thought they could. There's this funny mailbox game I play with myself. It's called, "from-looking-at-the-yet-unopened-bank-envelope---guess-which-bank-closed-which-account-today" game.

Stress wears on our faces. I see it more than I used to. People are fidgety, not sure where we are headed, and seeing no end in sight. We have no proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel". Hell, I don't even see a tunnel. Goals.

And it is those people, who create the tunnel, fuel the light, and propel us forward with positive energy. Those people, they will be the ones to prosper.

But if I had a group of employees, this is what I would tell them:

It is the people, through these difficult times, that believe in themselves who are going to prosper through. You must know yourself, believe in what you know and just go. And that is the type of person I am asking to step forward with me. I want to find a group of people who are willing to invest time, energy, focus, intellect and most importantly, positivity.

Sure we all have to slow down. A bit. But if we let the upset of today, take from us our positive attitude, we will slow down A LOT.


So, let's slow down a little, and move in a positive direction, with our full attention. When we are here (at work), we are here. When we are home, we are home. And to help us keep that perspective, we will grant you two extra days a month away from work.

The first is called "Work Day". The last (rotate days-wednesday) of the month, you will get a full day to take care of home things that spill over from not having enough time. Housework, pay bills, run errands, etc.

The second is "Selfish Day". Selfish day is one day a month (rotate and schedule days), you will get a full day to do exactly what you want to do. You are required to NOT WORK, either at home or at work. Working hard, with focus and full attention can be fulfilling, yet exhausting. To keep from burning out, you need to take breaks.


Do something completely different, something you absolutely love to do. Think of exactly that one thing, you love, and do that. Tell your family about selfish day, "Honey, I can't do that, because it is selfish day today." Now, I'm not saying they have to serve you. I am saying YOU have to serve YOURSELF. Selfish Day.



Copyright 2014 Yvonne Ramage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment