Sunday, April 4, 2010

Lightly Raining in the Galapogos



"It was lightly raining in the Galapagos, when ... ", started the older gentleman's story, as a group of us were waiting in the sitting room, just outside the breakfast bar.

As I listened to the group compare stories of elaborate vacations, I began to feel invisible. I am a nobody. This was idle conversation to them. It wasn't about the weather, not about their grandchildren or their pets. It's about how their bodies react to malaria mediacation. Galapagos, South Africa, Mexico, Mayan country. Mostly it's the well traveled folks talking. The non-well-travled sit quietly in the corner, away from the group, listening. I can only imagine what they may be thinking. It may be something similar to me.... I am a nobody.

Listening to the group, I heard narrow mind after narrow mind, followed by competition and judgement. One-upping games to show importance; but only to those that are playing. To the rest it is just bragging.
But one man who is clearly not well traveled, sitting quietly away from the rest, is the ONE that is the most pleasant of the bunch. He is the only person in the room I would WANT to talk to, even though I am well traveled myself and could rival any story in the conversation.

He didn't add much to the conversation with rivaling stories. Instead he comments on the most inane things with such joy, carrying an infectious smile, " I just love those bison," pointing outside to the bison in the field. His comment stops the elaborate stories in their tracks and makes everyone chuckle. Even the proudest world traveler in the room took at moment to look at the bison. That one man, spoke about things that are equally relatable... to everyone. He made me appreciate the things I have, not long for the things that I haven't seen, done, or experienced.

To humbly bring to light experiences that are within everyone’s reach... that is GRACE.

Joy is infectious. A smile is a beacon. And humility is the platform from which everything can be heard.


Copyright 2010 Yvonne Ramage

No comments:

Post a Comment