Saturday, May 9, 2009

Ode to Gregg

I saw a man today, as I was walking to the pizza parlor. Old, small, barely 5-foot tall with a lot of spunk. He was walking with this wife, she was oddly faceless and walking slower, much slower, than the man.

He spoke out to me with a chuckle, in the heaviest New Zealand accent I had heard since stepping off the plane, “Boy you are a big lady. Twenty one maybe. Heh heh.”

Realizing that I was the only one around, as well as the tallest, I turned and looked at his face. Billliance, rosy, firm, old, knowledgeable, and eager.

“Maybe not twenty one, but definitely ……”, muttering something that was more than indiscernible. “Eh, well then good eh’ lady.”, tipping his hat in my direction.

I smiled, laughed, wished him a good eh’ and was off, never once looking at his wife.

Joy, willingness, passion, eagerness, intrigue.

No comments:

Post a Comment